you are my sunshine...my only sunshine...

I have always sung to my kids. When Jonathan was little and would get upset, I would sing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." He has asthma, and we spent hours rocking together through breathing treatment after breathing treatment. When he was a bit older, it came in handy when he needed to learn his letters. The "ABC Song" is sung with the same tune.

To this day whenever I hear it I imagine a asthmatic little boy with a breathing mask on, sitting in my lap as I sang to him to keep him calm. Breathing in and out, dreaming of a night time sky.

When Miss Courtney was born, she was our ray of sunshine. I spent hours pacing the floor, in between seizures, with my little girl asking the universe not to take my sunshine away. I have sung it to her through sleepless nights, in recovery rooms, through EEGs, while rubbing her back when she was sick, through pneumonia and swine flu.

I added a special verse many years ago substituting Courtney's name for the word "sunshine".

With everything that was revealed this week, this special song has taken on new meaning for this Mama. Last night I looked into her eyes and sang once more. She hummed along with me and even smiled along the way. I promised her that Mama will sing every night from now until forever.

You are my Courtney...my only Courtney...you make me happy, when skies are grey. You'll never know dear, how much I love you...please don't take my Courtney away.




sunshine from Mary Lenaburg on Vimeo.

If you are able to help in any way with the wheelchair van repair or the medical equipment needed for Miss Courtney, Here is the PayPal button. If you have questions or wish to donate in  a different way, please feel free to email me (mary_romance@cox.net).

Thank you so very much for any and all practical help. Prayers are what's needed the most. 

Blessings and Grace, 
Mary and Jerry

Labels: