in the kitchen ~ grandma stuecken's westfalishe oelkrsbben (german donuts)...


There is one Easter tradition that my husband and I have kept ALL twenty-six years of our marriage without missing a beat. Making my Grandmother Stuecken's Westfalishe Oelkrsbben or as we loving call them Grandma's German Donuts. 

These deep fried gems take a little roll in cinnamon sugar making them extra happy. When you have one you will not be able to resist seven more. They are that good. I make them every Holy Saturday for our Easter morning breakfast. The one year I suggested that maybe we could skip it, there was a near mutiny in my house. I haven't made that mistake since. 

Since I only make them once a year, my guys take it very seriously. 

They have a slight hint of lemon and are best eaten within the first 48 hours. Each one is unique in shape and that's one of the things we like about them. No two are the same. The recipe is not that difficult and once you start frying them it goes pretty quickly. I encourage you to give them a try. 

Celebrating the Feast, 



Grandma Stuecken's German Donuts

Ingredients:
2 pounds all purpose flour
1 cake (pkg) of yeast
1 1/2 pints of lukewarm whole milk (3 cups)
4 whole eggs
2 Tablespoon sugar
2 Teaspoons salt
1/3 pound butter (softened) - 1 1/3 sticks
grated rind of two lemons
cinnamon and sugar

Directions:
Place flour in large wooden or ceramic bowl. Dissolve yeast in milk. Mix with flour. Add 4 whole eggs, sugar, salt, butter, grated rind. Mix well and let rise in warm place for about 2 hours. Drop by teaspoonful into hot fat (vegetable shortening) until light brown, turning occassionally. 

Roll in a pan of cinnamon sugar. 

Cool completely before storing in an airtight container. 

Best eaten within 48 hours of making. 

Labels: