in the kitchen ~ butternut squash soup w/bacon...

I promised I would write everyday this week. Today began with my coffee maker going DOA. Great way to start a Monday, no? 

Since there was no coffee this morning to supercharge my brain, I relied on green tea. As much as I love tea, I really missed my coffee. The hubster reminded me that we had a French Press in the garage. Five minutes later, there was a coffee happy dance going on in my kitchen. 

sigh...I heart coffee so very much...

Then Miss Courtney was very needy today. Which is fine but limits my screen time. So today I will cheat a little, if you will allow it, and post a recipe. 

I made this one at least once a week this past fall. My guys loved it, probably because it has bacon in it. The soup is hearty and very filling. It pairs beautifully with a light salad. with vinaigrette dressing. 

Bon Apetite!


Butternut Squash Soup w/Bacon
adapted from Bon Appetite, Oct 2013

Ingredients:
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 TBS unsalted butter
1 sweet onion
2 ½ pounds butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces, about 7 cups
6 sprigs thyme
Course salt and ground pepper
1 ¾ cups chicken broth
1 ¾ cups water
3/4 tsp sage

Directions:
1. Cook bacon in large pot over medium heat, adding butter and onion.  Cook until onion softened and golden, about 15 minutes.  Add squash, thyme, sage, 1 TBS salt, broth and water; increase to high heat and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and summer until squash is tender, about 12 to 15 minutes, discard thyme. 

2.  Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until very smooth.  Return soup to pot and season with salt and pepper.  Cover to keep warm.


Labels: