a word for 2014 reconsidered...


So this whole word for the year thing. I have done it a time or two in the past.

Lat year my word was "humility"...not sure how well I did with that. I am still striving. Thank goodness God is still working on me.

In 2012 I made a plan to sleep more...still not too great at that either.

In 2011 Miss courtney was in crisis, in and out of the hospital and I was simply trying to keep focused on the emergent issues at hand. In 2010 I made several res-o-lu-tions and I have to chuckle at my audacity with a few of them. I didn't bother to look back further because if I don't remember them, they must not have been as important to me. SO, let's look forward shall we.

I kept thinking about what I needed most in the coming year. After a few days of prayer and contemplation I realized that what keeps me going when I think I am totally losing my mind is encouragement. From my husband, my mother, my friends, from you. Just when I think I am going over the edge of the abyss never to return in my right mind, someone will reach out and encourage me...in that moment saving me from my own negative head and heart space.

Then I was reading about the project Holly Gerth is taking on this year and that really got me excited. I am home a lot and some days my only way of connecting with other is electronically, so when she talked about the "Coffee for your Heart" 2014 Encouragement Project , she threw out the first writing prompt...“What encouraging words do you want the people you care about to hear as they begin a new year?”

As I read the question, I knew what my word would be.

encourage verb give support, confidence, or hope to (someone) • give support and advice to (someone) so that they will do or continue to do something • help or stimulate (an activity, state, or view) to develop


I am not talking about "oh my life is so perfect, nothing phases me, let's be happy, happy, happy" kind of false encouragement. I am talking about "Crap, I have no hamburger for dinner, my daughter just peed through the last pair of clean pants she has, and my in-laws are on their way over for dinner" type of encouragement. The "you can do this thing" kind of encouragement.

We are going to turn that frown upside down and make you smile...for 30 seconds...that's all. I will feel like I did my job if you watch this little video and you smile or even laugh.

Because sister...we all need to laugh. We all need to know we are not alone. We all need to know that we are capable of completing the task set before us for the day. When the dishes are piled high, the kids are fighting, you have $36 dollars in your bank account to get you through for another seven days to payday and your toilet is baking up...YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Life is messy but God is the ultimate housekeeper. He sweeps away all the gunk and leaves us clean, refreshed and renewed.

So here you go...from me to you...YOU CAN DO THIS!!

BTW - no editing was done...it's just me...heaven help us all...LOL!


Encouragement Project 2014 - Video #1 from Mary Lenaburg on Vimeo.

If for some reason you can't play the video...you can see it here. 

Labels: ,