mary's book basket ~ "the icing on the cake" by janice thompson...


Last week when everything I owned got together and conspired to break all at the same time, I desperately needed an escape. I needed to laugh and inspirational author Janice Thompson came to my rescue. Her latest novel "The Icing on the Cake" was just what I needed. A light romantic comedy with a little hit of an inspirational inner journey for the hero and heroine.

From the Back Cover:

"Scarlet isn't sure if she has just the right ingredients for true love--or utter disaster

Scarlet Lindsey is busy making her dreams come true. She's moved her bakery to a prime spot on Galveston's most popular street, she's planning an extravagant cake for her best friend's wedding, and she has a great relationship with Bella Neeley, the island's most popular wedding coordinator. Business is booming and Scarlet is enjoying the ride.


But when Bella's dangerously handsome brother Armando breezes into her life, Scarlet is faced with a sticky situation. Should she stay with the safe, sweet guy who's been a fixture in her life for years? Or will this brash Italian hunk melt her guarded heart?"


I read this book in one evening. I really enjoyed Scarlet and Armando's story. Thompson is known for bringing in a theme to her books harkening back to a show business icon. With this book it was "I Love Lucy". Scarlet was a huge fan so she was constantly asking herself "What would Lucy do?" You can only imagine what kind of trouble she gets herself into.


Thompson also writes physical comedy better than any other fiction writer that I know of. There is a cooking competition and a wedding, lots of opportunity for comic relief. It's pure genius how she incorporates it in, all while weaving the characters inner inspirational journey along the way.


I give this book:

4 cupcakes - It was delightfully delish and I would highly recommend it to others.


You will really enjoy this book. Prepare to laugh and fall in love with Scarlett and Armando. This book is available from Revell Publishing in August 2013. You may purchase it at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Christianbook.com and your local brick and mortar retailer. 

I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for my review. My opinions are my own. 

Labels: