celebrating soup ~ mushroom barley soup...



It's winter time, or at least it's supposed to be. Right now here in Northern VA it feels like spring which is seriously disappointing. However, I will hold back my bitter disappointment and push forward. Since I have no control of the weather, I will celebrate that I do reign supreme in my kitchen so for me 
winter = soup.  

When I shared my Instagram (@maryromance) photo's of this soup on FB last week, the only comment I received was "I want the recipe!"

 I am here to make your meatless/budget friendly/veggie/vegan dreams come true. This soup takes about 45 - 50 minutes from start to finish and is so very yummy. It's hearty and filling with the mushroom/barley combo and it fits all the criteria for Meatless Friday's if your Catholic (like me). It's vegetarian and I think it meets the definition of vegan as well. 

Yes, we are a carnivore household BUT Mama likes to mix it up a bit from time to time and my bacon loving hubby really enjoyed this one. So bring on the meat eaters! This soup will satisfy I promise.

This week we celebrate soup. Each day I will be posting a new soup recipe. If your looking for more you can check out my Recipe Catalog which has other options as well. 

So enjoy winter wherever you are with this hearty delicious soup. 

Celebrate the Feast!!
Mary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mushroom Barley Soup
recipe slightly adapted  from Gooseberry Patch Weeknight Dinners

2 12-oz packages sliced mushrooms
1 cup onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 T butter
2 14-oz cans vegetable broth
3 1/2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup barley, uncooked

In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute vegetables in butter, for about 5 minutes.  Add broth, water, salt and pepper, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low; stir in barley, simmer for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until barley is tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.  Serves 6.

Labels: